Position Title: Explorers (Toddlers) Assistant Teacher
Reports to: Childcare Site Manager
Summary: The Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting the lead teacher in caring for children ages, roughly 18-24 months. The assistant teacher will help teach and promote communication skills, positive interactions, and following instructions. The assistant teacher will also participate in story time, arts and crafts, and many other activities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Ensure EmBe brand, mission, vision, and values are reflected in all interactions.
- Demonstrate and reinforce professionalism, appropriate language, take responsibility for actions, and mentor positive behavior to all throughout the center.
- Assist in implementing the curriculum/lesson plans developed by the lead teacher.
- Assist in supporting children to develop self-regulation, emotional, and support skills.
- Assist in the creation of a stimulating learning environment.
- Assist the lead teacher with assessing a child’s development with age-appropriate milestones.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of each child along with treating all with dignity and respect.
- Participate in all aspects of the classroom such as:
- Oversee and interact with children’s play.
- Crafts, singing songs, reading books and diapering.
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and clean learning environment inside and outside the classroom.
- Maintain appropriate staff to child ratio, consult with the site manager when substitutes are needed, or children should be moved to other classrooms.
- Accurately provide documentation (such as meal sheets, daily sheets, accident reports, medication sheets, as well as communicate parent information daily via procare and in person
- Engage in parent communication such as:
- Warmly greet each parent and child upon arrival and departure to each classroom.
- Engage in child’s well-being and daily activities.
- Remain up to date on mandatory training hours.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in a childcare center preferred.
- General knowledge of children’s growth and development.
- Flexibility, reliability, and cooperative work habits.
- No substantiated history of child abuse of neglect.
- No staff member or volunteer will have a felony conviction on record within the past five years.
- No staff members name will appear on the sex offenders’ registry.
- Ability to see, speak, and hear.
- Frequent standing and walking
- Frequent use of hands and arms
- Occasional lifting of 20 to 40 lbs.
- Occasional need to climb, balance, kneel or crouch.
- Work is primarily performed in an indoor classroom environment. Occasional outdoor exposure when weather permits.
- Noise level is moderate to loud due to equipment and children.
- Routine exposure to household sanitization and cleaning chemicals
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to preform the essential functions of the job.