POSITION TITLE: Chief Development Officer
REPORTS TO: CEO
POSITION DESCRIPTION: At EmBe, our Chief Development Officer is a key member of our leadership team, helping to shape the future of the organization and the communities we serve. In addition to providing strategic direction and implementation of a comprehensive development program, this individual is responsible for nurturing relationships with sponsors, individual and corporate donors and leading all fundraising efforts. Specifics include working closely with the CEO and board of directors to lead fundraising and development activities state-wide, from special events and donor acquisition and retention to regular giving campaigns and endowment giving. Relationship building, community activation, and creating energy that transfers into support is vital to fulfilling EmBe’s mission of “empowering women and families to enrich their lives.”
BENEFITS: Full-time benefits include health, dental, vision, 401k match, supplemental coverages, short-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, childcare discount, free parking, and a discount on programs!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide strategic leadership in establishing a culture of empowerment and continuous improvement. Model the attitudes of honesty, mutual respect, professionalism, accountability, and personal responsibility.
2. Work with the CEO, staff, and board to chart the organization’s course in fund development around a culture of philanthropy:
- Create and implement a comprehensive and strategic development plan for achieving annual development goals and strategies.
- Ensure that philanthropic efforts are carried out in manners that support the values, mission, and vision of the organization.
- Design appropriate cases for donor support to meet the organization’s needs and achieve its long-term vision.
- Work closely with all agency directors to understand and articulate current program activities, vision and needs for donor support.
- Lead and manage the annual development budget.
- Establish annual performance measurements and report regularly on the progress of the fund development program and its effectiveness.
- Keep informed of philanthropy, fund development and non-profit trends and relate them to the CEO and board to support policy positions and activities.
- Help board members, volunteers, and staff to cultivate and solicit charitable gifts.
3. Ensure proven operational functions to support the daily fund development activities and operations of a statewide organization:
- Carry out structured donor prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, tracking and recognition efforts, corporate and individual, to meet the established fund development goals.
- Develop, conduct, and regularly evaluate a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Conduct corporate and individual major gift asks, engaging the CEO and/or board members as needed.
- Provide leadership in maintaining the integrity of all donor and prospect records, gift management systems and informational reports.
- Administer an EmBe Gift Giving Policy and ensure the integrity of donor gift intentions.
- Provide vision and direction around special events and annual campaign activities through the Special Events Coordinator and other support personnel.
- Recruit and develop working committee structures to support and help achieve specific fundraising goals and activities; especially those outside of Sioux Falls.
- Supervise and manage development staff reporting to the CDO.
- Create personnel accountabilities for development and regularly evaluate performance.
4. Lead all efforts related to a capital campaign effort, including but not limited to, selecting, and working with campaign consultants, working through the local community appeals process, recruiting campaign leadership and volunteers, developing and creating specific asks, maintaining strong communication tactics and all other efforts required to achieve campaign goals through the structured work of many.
5. Serve as the staff liaison to the EmBe Development committee of the board; seeking ways to engage board members in the development strategy.
- Lead efforts with the committee chair to establish meeting agendas
- Assist the board and committee to determine accountabilities for board members and evaluate performance.
- Offer education to advance the knowledge and participation of board and committee members
6. Engage in the community(s) as a senior representative of the EmBe organization and its philanthropic position.
• Bachelor’s degree. Fundraising certifications preferred but not required.
• A minimum of seven (7) years development experience. Must have demonstrated successful experiences and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money in face-to-face conversations and experience in implementing and managing a comprehensive fund development program.
• Proven executive level leadership experience; including short/long-term planning, evaluation, leadership, financial management, and organizational behavior, and governance.
• Must possess the ability to inspire trust and confidence and communicate effectively with internal and external audiences in manners that bring engagement and motivation.
• Must have successful experience in leading and managing the work of others.
• Proficient in the use of information technology and management of database systems.
Interested candidates must complete the online application. A resume and cover letter may be sent under separate cover to firstname.lastname@example.org.