Girls on the Run
A signature program of EmBe
ALMOST 1000 Girls Participate in Our Program Each Year
Welcome to an awesome and life-changing program for young girls! Led by volunteer coaches, girls in the 3rd through 5th grades use running as a tool to learn that they can accomplish anything. Girls on the Run came to Sioux Falls and EmBe in 2005. Since that time, over 2000 girls have completed the program that promotes positive self esteem and body image. The program teaches girls how to set goals and reach them.
To volunteer to coach this program or receive more information contact the Girls on the Run Coordinator, at (605) 336-3660 or email at email@example.com.
The Girls on the Run Program
Girls on the Run is a non-profit international program that inspires girls to Honor their Bodies, Celebrate their Voices, Embrace their Gifts and Activate their Power!
To educate and prepare girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living
Girls on the Run is a life-changing, experiential learning program for girls in 3rd-5th grades. The program combines training for a 3.1 mile run/walk event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goal of the program is to encourage positive emotional, social, mental and physical development.
The objective of Girls on the Run is to educate and empower girls at an early age in order to prevent the display of at-risk activities in the future. At risk activities include substance/alcohol use, eating disorders, early onset of sexual activity, sedentary lifestyle, depression, suicide attempts and confrontations with the juvenile justice system.
Girls on the Run is a 501(c)3 positive youth development program which combines an interactive curriculum and running to inspire self-respect and healthy lifestyles in pre-teen girls. Our core curriculum addresses many aspects of girls' development - their physical, emotional, mental and social well-being. Lessons provide girls with the tools to make positive decisions and to avoid risky adolescent behaviors.
The Girls on the Run program is based on activities that function specifically to enhance the learning process. Each meeting is structured as follows:
- Sessions begin with an introduction to the topic of the day
- A Getting on Board and Warm Up activity brings the girls focus on to the days topic
- The warm up is followed by a stretching routine that allows for a topic related question and answer time
- During the next Workout period, the girls participate in a variety of running activities that utilize a game or a team goal
- Afterwards, cool-down stretching is combined with a review and discussion of the days lesson that encourages participant questions
- Each session closes with positive words from the girls� coach regarding individual and group behavior
- Some of our lesson topics include: Keeping Promises, Emotional Health, Cooperation, Listening, Gossiping, Bullying, Positivism, Good Sportsmanship, Learning About Community, Diversity, and Meida Influence on Behavior
For more information and listing of Fall 2014 locations, please visit the locations tab.
Thank you Girls on the Run program sponsors for enabling more girls in our community to participate in this program.