Lifeguarding Instructor (LGI) Course
Be a lifeguard instructor!
Instructor candidates who successfully complete this course will be able to teach the following:
- Administering Emergency Oxygen
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Guard Start
- Lifeguarding/First Aid
- Lifeguard Management
- Must be 17 years of age by the last scheduled class session.
- Have a current Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate or have successfully completed a Red Cross Lifeguarding course within the last four years.
- Have a Fundamentals of Instructor Training (FIT) or hold a current Red Cross instructor authorization. A FIT course will be offered on the first day of class. (Currently authorized Red Cross instructors need not attend).
- Participate and complete all online precourse sessions with Red Cross Learning Center
- Successfully pass the Precourse Session
The precourse session includes the following
- Score at least 80% on a 60 question written exam covering Red Cross Lifeguarding information
- All Red Cross Lifeguarding Precourse skill tests, CPR for the Professional Rescuer skills, first aid skills, and water rescue skills
- Lifeguarding Instructor Training
If you hold a current lifeguard certificate and a class is not scheduled please contact Aquatics Director at (605) 336-3660 for more information.