Lifeguarding - a rewarding job!
Develop leadership skills, build self-confidence and learn teamwork
As a lifeguard, you will have the opportunity to work in exciting settings such as aquatic centers, summer camps, waterparks, college pools, and more! Many lifeguards move on to careers in aquatics, fitness and healthcare. It is also a great way to get noticed by future employers and colleges who look for applicants with good communications skills, positive attitudes, and professional behavior.
The EmBe Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program is intended to train individuals in the skill and knowledge needed to be a certified lifeguard at aquatic facilities. The training is approximately 28 hours in length. The pre-requisite test is held on the first day. With successful completion of all required skills and knowledge, students will receive certification in the following: Lifeguarding and First Aid (three years), CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (one year). Successful candidates have lucrative opportunities for employment upon completion of the class!
Lifeguard candidates must attend every session at the times listed by the facility. Attendance in the course does not guarantee Lifeguard certification. Candidates must pass written and practical exams.
Prerequitites - students will be tested for the following skills:
- Minimum age: 15-years-old on the last day of class
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Pass one written test with a minimum grade of 80% or better on each section
- Successfully complete four final skill scenarios
- Successfully performs all critical skills
Red Cross Lifeguard Training includes the following:
- Lifeguard Training
- First Aid
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer